Monday, February 16, 2009

Photobooth Beauty Queen

I am a huge Andy Warhol fan. Though he could be rather aloof to many and a dick to some I still appreciate the works he created with both film and paint. I even named my photo "company" Pink Cow Photography after my second favorite Warhol creation. So what is my first favorite?

By and large I am not a fan of Warhol's portraits. Yet if I were a billionaire I would buy this painting. I love everything about it. The vibrant colors, the goofy poses, the patchiness of the silk-screen. In spite of the mechanical apparatus(es) used to create it (ie: a photo booth and silk-screening) it contains more life than many/most expressionist works.

So why am I writing about this painting? Because it's subject, arts patrol Ethel Scull, died today at the age of 79. As sad as that news made me - looking at this painting makes me happy.

You can read more about Ethel here.

No comments: