Friday, March 13, 2009

Mad Love

ROB GORDON: What came first, the music or the misery? People worry about kids playing with guns, or watching violent videos, that some sort of culture of violence will take them over. Nobody worries about kids listening to thousands, literally thousands of songs about heartbreak, rejection, pain, misery and loss. Did I listen to pop music because I was miserable? Or was I miserable because I listened to pop music?

Rob's right. Pop music is pretty fucked up. Check out this little ditty by the Crystals from 1962:



So many songs about insane, obsessive, abusive love. No wonder so many out there find themselves remaining in destructive relationships. I would not be surprised if Ms. Rihanna were to cover this in the near future. Part of me wants to find this type of music reprehensible - but it's just so damn catchy.

No comments: