Friday, November 28, 2008

Give Love A Chance

Even if you're not familiar with the band Love you have probably seen this album cover somewhere -
Whenever there is a list of the greatest albums of all time you will likely find Forever Changes on there. It's a really great album. "Alone Again or" is one of the greatest album openers ever and the following 10 tracks live up to that promise.

I didn't hear this album till about a year ago when I found it among the CDs of my long deceased uncle Gary. When he died he was living with my grandparents and his CDs are still there. It's weird - I've kind of grown up with that collection. Every few years I look through the various discs and find something new. When I was in 4th grade it was Elvis & Meatloaf, when I got to high school it was Frank Zappa and last year it was Love.

As great as the album is, I for some reason never attempted to look into any of their other albums until this past Tuesday.

On Tuesday (with change I had been amassing on my desk) I bought the Criterion edition of Bottle Rocket. Though I had seen the film at least three times before, I had never really paid attention to the music in the first burglary scene. Maybe it's due to the shitty mix on the standard edition DVD. Who knows? But anyway - this time the music stood out. I found myself wondering -

Who the fuck is this awesome band?

It sounded like if The Who were inventing punk. Quick IMDB search and I discover that the song is called "7 and 7 is" by Love. It's off their album Da Capo which came right before Forever Changes and is pretty awesome as well.

Take a listen




Most of you hip cats out there are likely already on the Love bandwagon. But those of you who are not better get jumpin' cause this is great great music.

Dig?

2 comments:

‡erusalem kricke‡ said...

I looked up the artist who did that album cover.. a guy by the name of Bob Pepper. He did some tripped out book covers in the 80's for some sci-fi books like those of Philip K. Dick. He's got a really unique, colorful style.

Anonymous said...

I am a fan of LOVE, and I got the biggest kick a couple years ago watching a Saved by the Bell episode... in which you may have seen that cover art on the t-shirt of one Samuel 'Screech' Powers. Oh yes.