Saturday, August 9, 2008

Action Transvestite


This past Thursday I saw Eddie Izzard live for the third time. On the drive home I found myself attempting something I have tried many times before – to catagorize Eddie Izzard. It’s rather hard to do. He’s a transvestite comedian but it’s not a gimmick like Dame Edna or something. He’s just a comedian who happens to be a transvestite. His material is smart but he does it in the broadest way possible. He is both verbal and physical. He swears but is never obscene. He doesn’t have catch phrases but there are ideas and themes that he returns to often. His act feels free form, yet he is able to invoke callbacks so effortlessly that they seem as though they were planned. Eddie Izzard is a walking contradiction and I love him for it. A category unto himself.