Monday, August 11, 2008

Sterotypes Rock!

About a month ago I went on a “Love & Rockets” spree reading anything by Los Bros Hernandez I could get my hands on. While making my way through Jaime’s stories about “Las Locas” Maggie and Hopey I came across an epically long story entitled “Wig-Wam Bam”. The title is a reference to a song which bonded two characters when they were younger and it’s by the band Sweet (often referred to as “The Sweet” on early albums). Most people know them as the band behind “Ballroom Blitz”.

After finishing the story I decided to give the song a listen. It’s really catchy with its fuzzy glam guitars and all. The perfect song to rock out to in 1977 (or 2008 if you’re a geek like me). Anyhow, I never really paid attention to the lyrics until recently, and boy are they kind of racist.

Now I’m not talking Johnny Reb ‘get a rope’ racist, but a touch offensive nonetheless. The song is about Native American’s getting it on. Check out this youtube clip and the guitarist's fashion choice:



The bleeding heart liberal in me is a little offended. The rocker side of me just plain loves the song. And the part of me that loves to be inappropriate is insanely giddy over this song.

With a final score of 2 against 1 this song is officially declared –

AWESOME!

PS:

On a much more somber note I would like to mark the passing of two insanely talented individuals.

Isaac Hayes & Bernie Mac

You will both be greatly missed.

Mahalo

No comments: