Friday, August 22, 2008

No Fun

I just got done watching “Pierrot Le Fou” and it reminded me of why I love early Godard: The pure, saturated colors, the way the camera moves and doesn’t move, the immensely diverse film references, his use of music, the social and political commentary, the alienating devices and non sequitur after non sequitur. As disparate as all these elements of his cinema may seem they are united by one crucial element – fun.

Early Godard was FUN. No matter how dark things got there was always fun. Even when Belmondo is being tortured in “Pierrot Le Fou”, rather than give up the desired information he simply remarks, “Ploom ploom tra-la-la”.

I’ve watched some contemporary Godard and while it is brilliant, beautiful and socio-politically relevant, it’s not fun. Like Mark Twain before him, Godard has devolved from a fine and funny satirist, to a borderline misanthrope. I guess you can only stare into the void for so long.

Ploom Ploom Tra-La-La

No comments: