Thursday, May 14, 2009

Three

Though I haven't seen a lot of Fellini I have seen 8 1/2 and I love it more than words. A beautiful film filled with so many startling images and ideas. If you haven't seen it yet I insist you must.

anyhow...

The film is titled 8 1/2 because within Fellini's filmography this was film number (you guessed it) 8 1/2. In 1982 the film was adapted into a Broadway musical cleverly titled 9. Now the cycle is complete and that musical has been made into a film. Here's the trailer:



It's kind of surreal seeing familiar images like la Saraghina in a similar yet vaguely unfamiliar way. Rob Marshall (Chicago, Memoirs of a Geisha) is definitely no Fellini but he's also no slouch either.

Some might give him flack for casting very few Italians in this film just like how he cast very few Japanese in Geisha. While I find this fact interesting I'll state that in the end all that matters is whether or not the film is good. Guess we'll have to wait till November to find out.

Worst comes to worst this film will make an interesting double feature with All That Jazz.

No comments: