Thursday, July 10, 2008

Meat On My Mind

"On a hot summer night would you offer your throat to the wolf with the red roses?"

So begins "You Took the Words Right Out of My Mouth" the second track on Meat Loaf and Jim Steinman's classic album "Bat Out of Hell".

The hot weather of this summer has kept Mr. Loaf very much on my mind and tonight on my drive home from Becca's house I decided to listen to the album for the firs time in forever and it reminded me that

Man I fucking love me some Meat Loaf.

I've loved him ever since the 4th grade when he hit big with "Bat Out of Hell II: Back Into Hell" and "I'd Do Anything for Love (But I Won't Do That)". I love love loved that album and boy was I suprised to discover that there was a Bat Out of Hell I.

I found it in the CD collection of my Uncle Gary who had died years before. When he died he was living with my grandparents and when I got to 4th and 5th grade I was spending a lot of time at their house after school. Since they didn't have cable TV I had to find other ways to entertain myself and one of those was listening to albums over and over again. The one I listened to the most was of course "Bat Out of Hell".

Over the years my love of "Bat Out of Hell II" has decreased greatly but my love of the original has only grown. I don't care what anyone says. This album is FUCKING AWESOME!!! It's big and operatic in the way pretty much nothing is these days. The only recent songs I can think of that come even close are Knights of Cydonia by Muse & No Cars Go by Arcade Fire.

I wish music this big and ballsy could hit on the radio these days.

Le sigh.

If you don't already own it I really suggest you pick up "Bat Out of Hell", throw it on and take the ride.

On a hot summer night would you offer your throat to the wolf with the red rose?

FUCK YES!

No comments: