Monday, December 1, 2008

Don't Pust Me, Cause I'm Close To The Edge...

So I’m staring at the magazine rack when newest issue of Spin catches my eye.


Kind of hard for anyone to NOT give that cover a second glance right? Homegirl is fierce as shit. Well anyway, upon closer examination I see the words –

Special Report: Is Sampling Dead?

What? Sampling dead? I must know more.

Inside the magazine there is an article about how only the richest and most successful rappers are able to afford the exorbitant price one must pay to clear a sample. For me and hip-hop (never thought I’d ever start a sentence that way) this is terrible, horrible, no good, very bad news. As the RZA puts it, “Hip-Hop is becoming just another form of pop music.”

Sampling is the foundation of hip-hop. Everyone loves to recite the lyrics to “Rapper’s Delight” but what really gets you moving is that break-beat from “Good Times” by Chic. The same can be said for any old-school hip-hop track. It was RUN-DMC’s use of an Aerosmith sample that finally broke down the MTV color wall. At its’ core you need two things to make hip-hop: an MC and a DJ. It takes two to break dance.

So anyway…

In the article they also mention an album that I'm pretty late to the game on (as per usual). It's called Feed the Animals by a DJ called Girl Talk which features 300 un-cleared samples. Now that's the kind of chutzpah I like to see! Of course I had to hear this for myself.

Let me state right now that I am putting in my vote for Feed the Animals as album of the year. This thing is insanity. 14 songs which all work as one giant song! Totally groovable and filled with a diverse assortment of samples culled from the past 50+ years of music. It’s like someone made an album just for me. He even samples songs that sample other songs!

Not to toot my own horn but…people often remark about my diverse taste in music. They’re astounded to learn that my iPod holds rock, rap, country, punk, techno, etc. I don’t see it has particularly astounding. I like good music and don’t believe in limiting myself to one genre, nobody should. Good tunes is good tunes. And that is exactly what Feed the Animals is all about. You can put it on at a party and there is something for everyone.

The album is only available online and you get to pick your own price. There is no excuse not to own it. Turn it into a game. See how many samples you can spot.

http://74.124.198.47/illegal-art.net/__girl__talk___feed__the__anima.ls___/

Sampling is NOT dead!

Support your local DJ!

SUPPORT GOOD TUNES!

No comments: