Thursday, December 11, 2008

Golden Thoughts

OK. So the Golden Globe nominations were announced this morning. There are things to cheer and things to boo. Since I am a benevolent dictator I will tell you which is which. Also - this entry will be edited over the next month plus as I see more of the nominated films.

Best Picture - Drama
-HUGE yay for Slumdog Millionaire (see review)
-Glad to see Benjamin Button make the list. Reviews have been mixed but I love me some David Fincher and plan on seeing it as soon as possible.
-The rest of the nominees are expected. They're your usual awards fodder. Important pictures and melodramas. None of them look bad but I'm also not salivating to see any of them.
-While it would have been nice/interesting/provocative to see Dark Knight on the list it's not exactly a surprise to see it excluded.
-WHERE THE FUCK IS MILK!!!!!!

Best Actress - Drama
-Yay Anne Hathaway. Some were afraid that Rachel Getting Married would end up being forgotten since it was released so long ago.
-From what I've heard about Changling and the clips I've seen I don't think Angelina is going to find a slot when it comes time for Oscars.
-I absolutely adore the rest of the actresses nominated and need to see their films.

Best Actor - Drama
-Sean Penn sooooooooo rocks the party in Milk.
-Glad to see Brad Pitt getting some love. Too many people dismiss him as a pretty face. He is an extremely gifted actor.
-I cannot wait to see Mickey Rourke in The Wrestler.
-Leo will probably get an Oscar nod but will once again not win. How do he and Johnny Depp not have golden boys yet?
-No Benicio?

Best Picture - Comedy/Musical
-Burn After Reading was good psychotic fun.
-I have NEVER seen a Mike Leigh film (shame on me). Happy-Go-Lucky looks great.
-Whatever Mamma Mia!
-At least The Sex and the City Movie didn't get a nod.
-Fuck you In Bruges
-Happy-Go-Lucky will probably win but I really really really liked Vicky Cristina

Best Actress - Comedy/Musical
-I'm really happy Rebecca Hall is getting recognition for her great work in Vicky Cristina. I was worried the more showy roles would make you forget her.
-I love all the rest of those actresses. I even forgive Meryl for Mamma Mia!

Best Actor - Comedy/Musical
-What an odd assortment of actors
-Brendan Gleeson and Colin Farrell are both great actors but In Bruges really left me cold. Their nominations will cancel each other out so no real need to worry.
-Javier was great as always. I smell win.
-I don't even remember hearing about that Dustin Hoffman movie.
-James Franco reminds us what a talented actor can do with a stoner.

Best Animated Feature
-Like this is even a competition. Wall-E has it in the bag.

Best Foreign Film
-I feel like suck a film fraud. I have seen none of these.
-I'm surprised they didn't nominate Che like they did Letters From Iwo Jima and Apocalypto a few years back. They must have really not liked it.

Best Supporting Actress
-Yet another list of awesome women! Girl Power!

Best Supporting Actor
-Tom Cruise? Really? Was it that shitty of a year for supporting roles that his stupid fat suit dancing made him eligible for an award?
-They said it was a long shot but the proof is in the pudding...Robert Downy Jr.
-Ralph Fiennes and Philip Seymour Hoffman are two master thespians but EVERYONE knows we will be honoring the late, great and worthy Heath Ledger for his AWESOME Joker.

Best Director
-Though the word got waaaaaaay over used this year, I really enjoy seeing mavericks on this list. Danny Boyle and David Fincher make movies like nobody else.
-Why isn't Gus Van Sant on this list? And Darren Aronofsky! We need more mavericks!
-The other nominees are very skilled at their craft.

Best Screenplay
-Slumdog was very well written. Great structure.
-Haven't seen any of the others but Frost/Nixon is "important" enough that it will likely win.

Best Score
-A.R. Rahman's Slumdog score was amazing! I found myself grooving in my seat.
-Other than Slumdog nothing really caught my ear this year. Hee hee it rhymes.

Best Song
-I don't really care about this category this year though Bruce Springsteen is the fucking man. He's probably got a statue headed his way. Hopefully the Oscars don't snub him like they did Mick a few years back.

Best Series - Drama
-WHERE THE FUCK IS THE WIRE!!!
-I love me some House
-Don't watch the rest of these shows. I need to start watching Mad Men. It will probably win.

Best TV Actress - Drama
-I follow none of these shows.
-Interesting to see a procedural like Law & Order: SVU making the list but go Mariska!

Best TV Actor - Drama
-Jon Hamm has it. He's a funny guy and I look forward to his acceptance speech.
-I would really like to see another Hugh Laurie speech.

Best Series - Comedy
-I am so torn between 30 Rock, The Office and Weeds. I love love love all three of these shows and don't like having to pick between them. But since this is the year of Tina Fey it's gonna be 30 Rock.
-Freddy says I should watch the other two nominees. I'll get around to it.

Best TV Actress - Comedy
-Torn between Tina and Mary-Louise. But as I said this is Tina's year.

Best TV Actor - Comedy
-Torn between Baldwin and Carell. Don't know if Tina has enough juice to get Alec to the podium. It'll be interesting to see who wins.

All Best Mini-Series Categories
-I have seen NONE of these. But I will go out on a limb and say that John Adams will sweep based purely on the fact that even Steve Jones of the Sex Pistols was excited about this mini-series.

Best TV Supporting Categories
-No real opinion.

No comments: