Friday, September 26, 2008

Comics and Film: A Dialogue

Here’s a link to the new trailer for Frank Miller’s adaptation of Will Eisner’s “The Spirit”. When you're done come back and enjoy a lively discussion on comics and film.

http://www.moviefone.com/movie/the-spirit/26912/trailer?trailerId=2254867

Well hopefully this will be a more successful film than “Sin City”

Oh my God! Did he just rag on “Sin City”?

Yes I did. A little.

But Craig, you own “Sin City” on DVD. The special edition no less!

Guilty as charged.

Then what is this heresy thou speakest?

Don’t get me wrong I enjoy “Sin City” but not as a film. I marvel at what was achieved visually by all those involved. Marv walking through the rain, white silhouettes on black screen, racing cars, etc.

OK. So where’s the problem?

The problem is that I hardly ever feel the urge to re-watch it as a whole film. I’ll watch a scene or even a particular shot, but not the whole film.

Why do you think that is?

I think it’s the result of those involved being too reverent to the source material.

Too reverent? Don’t you geeks get all in a twitter about film adaptations that stray too much from the source material?

Yes we do. We want the film’s creators to be respectful of source material.

Then what’s the problem?

The problem is that if you hold something too tightly you can kill it.

Like a bunny rabbit?

Yes. Like a cute little bunny rabbit. “Sin City” is so fetishistically obsessed with depicting each and every panel of the comic that it loses it’s energy. “Sin City” does not feel alive for me. It feels like an exercise in replication. I came down to the theatre to have a cinematic experience. If I wanted the comic I would read the comic. A film needs to be allowed to be a film.

So then are you entirely against the idea of adapting comics into films?

No. Not at all. Take “Ghost World” for example. That was a very respectful adaptation while at the same time being drastically different from the book. Terry Zwigoff’s visual style complimented Daniel Clowes’ illustrations but is not slavish to them. Also it remained true to the emotional story. The same goes from “American Splendor”.

So then are you going to see “The Spirit” when it comes out?

Probably.

But what if it's missing energy or whatever you accused "Sin City" of doing?

That's absolutely possible but I don't think it will happen.

Why not?

Because this film isn't a slavish recreation of anything. Aside from character names and basic set-up, this film looks to have little in common with the old Will Eisner books. Frank Miller having some fun with Will Eisner's toys. I cannot wait to see what comes of it. Good pulpy fun.

You baffle me.

I baffle myself all the time. See you in the funny papers and at the movies.

PS - Speaking of movies...

Here are two other cool trailers you might like:

First up the Tom Cruise tries to kill Hitler pic "Valkyrie"





And finally the new trailer for "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button". You'll have to go to the actual site and watch the quicktime trailer cause it's just too beautiful to experience in muddy ol' youtube

http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/thecuriouscaseofbenjaminbutton/

And lastly

When I first became politically active and able to vote I registered Green. The first ballot I ever cast was for Peter Miguel Camejo for Governor of California. Sadly Peter died on September 13th at the age of 68. I did not find out about this until yesterday. This brings me much sadness. Camejo was a great man who stood up for what he believed.

Read more about him over at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Camejo

RIP

1 comment:

'Becca'lise said...

Haha, how very Gollum of you.