Thursday, September 11, 2008

Way Down In The Hole

Last night I had nothing better to do so I decided to finally watch “American Gangster”. Though by no means a horrible film, I could not help but compare it to a far superior piece of filmed drama -


Like many people out there, I discovered “The Wire” on DVD. Though I’m sure the show was just as great when broadcast, I feel DVD is the ideal way to experience this epic. When compressed into a few weeks of multi-hour chunks the show ceases to be amazing television and starts becoming Cinema with a capital C.

Though each season is a complete unit in itself, the true beauty lies in watching the overall story develop. While the human drama is absolutely riveting the real star of the show is Baltimore Maryland as herself. Other characters come and go but she remains.

Though some might mock me for this statement I would like to go on record having said:

I think “The Wire” is a work that will endure the test of time.

Movies like “American Gangster” attempt to compress way too much information into an "acceptable" runtime. They're like a frantic marathon runner who kills himself trying to make it to the finish line. "The Wire" on the other hand, is in no hurry. It has all the time it needs and until movie theaters start showing 60 hour films, it will be always be able to defeat any and all comers. This is the pure shit. Uncut.

Now update your Netflix® cue and start watching!

1 comment:

Micki said...

I really didnt like American Gangster. I read some article about how ingenious it was to write 2 separate stories and weave them together. But to me, it just made Russell Crowe's story suck ass. Because we were just watching him struggle to figure out what we, the audience, had already known for like 45 minutes. LAME. Never let your audience get that far ahead of your hero!